[Whitepaper] Power saving methods for LTE-M and NB-IoT devices
LTE-M and NB-IoT are LTE based internet of things (IoT) technologies. Both require long battery lifetime to ensure IoT services and minimize maintenance costs in the future.
The power consumption of an LTE-M/NB-IoT device has to be kept as low as possible in order to achieve the minimum 10-year battery lifetime. To meet that design goal, several power saving mechanisms are described in this whitepaper.
• Chapter 2 explains the fundamentals of discontinuous reception (DRX), which is a generic procedure for power saving in the mobile communications world
• Chapter 3 describes the principle of extended discontinuous reception (eDRX) and shows how it differs from legacy DRX
• Chapter 4 covers the key parameters of the power save mode (PSM)
• Chapter 5 explains other power saving mechanisms (RAI, EDT and WUS) introduced in 3GPP Rel. 14 and Rel. 15
• Chapter 6 briefly summaries the power saving mechanisms
Download the technical whitepaper to learn the possible power saving methods that can be applied to LTE-M and NB-IoT devices today.